Makes 7–8 dozen rusks
500ml Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs
500ml Buttermilk OR Maas
250ml Wholewheat Flour
750ml Breakfast Cereal Bran Flakes
1 kg Flour, sifted
40ml Baking Powder
5ml Oryx Desert Salt
1. Melt the butter, oil and sugar in a saucepan and allow to cool. Beat well until thick.
2. Beat in the eggs one by one, then beat in the buttermilk. Add all the dry ingredients and stir until blended.
3. Pour the mixture into two loaf tins or one large roasting tin lined with oiled greaseproof paper.
4. Bake at 180°C for 1 hour. Turn out, and leave to cool. Cut into rusks.
5. Allow to dry overnight in the oven warmer draw or reduce the oven
Temperature to 100°C and leave for 4–6 hours to dry completely. Store in an airtight container.