- Puff pastry
- Chocolate spread such as tahini or nutella
- Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
2. Then, start by unraveling the thawed puff pastry, you will need two sheets. Spread a generous layer of chocolate spread onto one of the puff pastry sheets, covering all corners. Then, add the second sheet on top.
3. Use a pizza cutter to make 3-4cm wide strips. Leave the large end piece alone, we will use this for the stars.
4. Next, grab a strip and using your hands, roll up the dough accordion style with a minimum of four layers. The piece at the top should be short and small.
5. Use a large skewer and poke it in the center of each tree, then place each one on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Lastly, use a small star cookie cutter to cut out stars on the last larger strip. However, use only one layer and then poke this through the skewer and place it on top of the tree before baking for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy warm!
* Allow the puff pastry to come to room temperature as this will be much easier to work with. Check the back of your puff pastry for correct thawing instructions.
* Gently fold each strip accordion style, but make sure there is a minimum of four layers to create the perfect Christmas tree.
* It may get a little messy, that's ok!
* When cutting out the star for the top, use only one layer and not two.
* Use long wooden skewers for best results.